3M 1181 Tape consists of a 1-ounce deadsoft copper foil backing and a unique electrically conductive
pressure-sensitive acrylic adhesive.
• Deadsoft 1-ounce copper foil backing
• Conductive acrylic adhesive
• Supplied on a removable liner for easy handling and diecutting Like all 3M shielding tapes, 3M 1181 is
available in standard and custom widths and lengths. Standard length is 18 yards.
• Widths from 1/4” to 23”
• Longer lengths up to several times normal length, dependent upon width.
3M 1181Tape is typically used forapplications requiring excellent electricalconductivity from the application
substrate through the adhesive to the foil backing.Common uses include grounding and EMI shielding in
equipment, components, shielded rooms, etc. The copper foil backing is solderable and resists oxidation and
Many factors determine the true shielding effectiveness of a shielding tape, including type and thickness of foil,
adhesive type,intimacy of contact, smoothness of application surface, strength and frequency of the EMI signal,
etc. However, using Standard tests and fixtures, it is possible to determine a value for the attenuation. For 3M
1181 Tape, typical shielding effectiveness (far field) is in the range of 60Db to 80dB (30 MHz to 1 GHz).
Backing thickness : 1.4 mil (0,04mm)
Total thickness (backing plus adhesive) : 2.6 mil (.066mm)
Breaking strength : 25 lb./in (44 N/10mm)
Adhesion to steel : 35 oz/in (3,8 N/10mm)
Electrical resistance through adhesive : 0.005 ohm
Flame retardancy : Pass
* Footnote: 1. Test method ASTM D 1000
2. MIL-STD-202 Method 3 07 maintained at 5 psi (3,4 N/cm2) measured over 1 in2 surface area. Conductive particles in the adhesive
provide the electrical path between the application substrate and the foil backing.
3. UL-recognized for flame retardancy per UL 510, Product Category 0ANZ2, File E17385.